Well, after not getting my water volumes exactly where I wanted them, my OG ended up at 1.066 (17 Brix). So now I will have to term this Keeney’s Imperial Irish Red Ale. Today (nine days of fermentation) I measured 1.012 (8 Brix), and 7% ABV. I’m glad to see that it is already down to it’s likely terminal gravity already, pitching on top of the Scottish Ale yeast cake (US-05) worked pretty well on the speed of fermentation. We’ll have to see about the flavor, mouthfeel etc.
I can’t say enough how nice it is to utilize Sean Terrills website to do the refractometer conversions. It is great to be able to use a refractometer in place of taking large samples (and wasting) of wort / beer.
His website is here, and he now has PHP code on the front page to input and calculate FG readings from refractometer readings. Good Stuff!
I tried a bottle of Scottish Ale two nights ago, and it had very little carbonation and tasted terribly sweet. I will give that a few more weeks to carbonate up and hope the bite of the carbonation offsets the sweetness. I don’t have my hopes us.
My next brew planned will be a BIAB on the stovetop indoors doing just 2.5 gallons. I’m going to try to make this easy and I work on various recipes. I’m all for having 1 case of bottles per batch and making many more batches than being stuck with two cases and doing fewer brews. I just want to brew.