I have moved away from naming my brews unless it is a recipe I will repeat which has not been very many. This beer was an exception since hours after ending my brew day my wife, niece and grand niece (who were staying at our house for a while) discovered lice. What I thought was a long brew day turned into a tortuous delousing night that lasted well past 2:00am.
The good news is the lice are under control and gone for now, I already have short hair and now issues, and the ‘trauma’ has given me a name for this beer. The ‘Red’ will be 1 oz of hibiscus tea I will add to it at kegging time.
It was again another 3 gallon batch, which I will likely keep doing (with my 2.5 gallon kegs especially) unless it is a repeat sure fire winning recipe I want to hand out and drink again. This was only my second Belgian Wit attempt, the first last year was wonderful (used Wyeast 3944) and was fairly popular. But, ever changing, the recipe was different this time, I went with nearly a 50/50 split with 2-row and flaked wheat. A pinch of Munich added to top it off. That was it.
Also different in this recipe is my first shot with Wyeast Forbidden Fruit (Wyeat 3463).
- 2lb 9 oz 2-row
- 2lb 9 oz Flaked wheat
- 8 oz Munich (light)
- 1 oz 4.6% Hallertau for 60 minutes
- Mashed at 122F for 15 minutes and 154F for 60 minutes
- Zest of 2 Cara Cara Oranges at 2 minutes
- 5 grams of crushed Coriander
Pretty simple stuff really. Except the yeast.
This was my first go with this strain, and only second Wit yeast and I found it was REALLY clumpy during the active part of fermentation. I also found disturbingly that I have what appear to be chunks of protein from the cold break that have floated to the top, making me originally think I had a serious infection under way once the krausen settled. But luckily, no.
Four days in I measure 1.011 and it has a nice ‘clean’ grainy flavor. I’ve lost the orange / coriander taste so at the suggestion of someone on g+ I’ll likely make a new ‘tea’ to add at kegging once I get to that point.