Tag Archives: infection

sour mash berliner weiss

Sour Mash Berliner Weiss

Following a method outlined by a podcast I listened to last year, BasicBrewingRadio from July 26, 2012 and the link from that show to Sean Coates blog here, I set myself up to brew a sour mash Berliner Weiss.

There seems to be two keys to pulling this off:

  • A way to get a CO2 blanket on top of the souring mash
  • A way to keep the mash around 120F for the length of time you want to sour it (1-3 days)

The basic method is this.

  1. Using a basic wheat beer malt bill, and shooting for a low SG, mash your grain as normal.   I used a cooler and just let my mash sit in it until it reached 120F the next day.  Once it did reach that temp I threw in 1 pound of unmilled 2-row which inoculated the mash with the lactobacillus that naturally is on all malted grain.  Every 6-8 hours or so I added some boiling water to get my mash back to 120F.  My garage was cool at this time, if it is summer and you live in a warm climate you may be able to maintain 120F in a cooler for an extended period of time.
  2. Once I added the boiling hot water, stirred, I then blew a little CO2 on top of the mash as I closed the lid.  This removed the oxygen from the top of the mash which then helped prevent other ‘bugs’ from taking over.  The kind that smell like feces, vomit etc. By doing this, my mash never really ‘stunk’ like others have reported, but it had a STRONG, and I mean strong cooked canned corn smell.
  3. After 36 hours my sample tasted sour / tart enough and I drained the first running’s, and batch sparged as normal.
  4. I boiled for 30 minutes, and added a touch of hops at 15 minutes to get me to around 5-6 IBU’s.
  5. The rest is a normal batch of beer, and the advantage of this method is that I don’t have ‘bugs’ that are on the cold side, so I can treat it like any other brew.  I did my ferment after cooling down with US-05 and let it sit for a few weeks prior to kegging.

 

Recipe: Sour Mash Berliner Weiss
Brewer: Jerry
Asst Brewer:
Style: Berliner Weiss
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
————————–
Boil Size: 6.12 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.98 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.60 gal
Estimated OG: 1.040 SG
Estimated Color: 3.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 8.4 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 82.8 %
Boil Time: 15 Minutes

Ingredients:
————
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
4 lbs 4.8 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 58.9 %
3 lbs White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 2 41.1 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.60 %] – Boil Hop 3 8.4 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 4 –
Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 7 lbs 4.8 oz
—————————-
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 9.13 qt of water at 163.7 F 149.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 4.96 gal water at 168.0 F
Notes:
——
Mashed at 1.5qt/lb at 149F, let drop to 120F and then added 1 lb unmilled 2-row.
Let sour for 36 hours, boiled 30 minutes and added hops at 15 minutes
1 pkg US-05 at 63F

Sour Mash

Sour Mash

Flaked Wheat

“Red Louse” Wit Brewday

I have moved away from naming my brews unless it is a recipe I will repeat which has not been very many.  This beer was an exception since hours after ending my brew day my wife, niece and grand niece (who were staying at our house for a while) discovered lice.  What I thought was a long brew day turned into a tortuous delousing night that lasted well past 2:00am.

The good news is the lice are under control and gone for now, I already have short hair and now issues, and the ‘trauma’ has given me a name for this beer.  The ‘Red’ will be 1 oz of hibiscus tea I will add to it at kegging time.

It was again another 3 gallon batch, which I will likely keep doing (with my 2.5 gallon kegs especially) unless it is a repeat sure fire winning recipe I want to hand out and drink again.   This was only my second Belgian Wit attempt, the first last year was wonderful (used Wyeast 3944) and was fairly popular.  But, ever changing, the recipe was different this time, I went with nearly a 50/50 split with 2-row and flaked wheat.  A pinch of Munich added to top it off.  That was it.

Also different in this recipe is my first shot with Wyeast Forbidden Fruit (Wyeat 3463).

  • 2lb 9 oz 2-row
  • 2lb 9 oz Flaked wheat
  • 8 oz Munich (light)
  • 1 oz 4.6% Hallertau for 60 minutes
  • Mashed at 122F for 15 minutes and 154F for 60 minutes
  • Zest of 2 Cara Cara Oranges at 2 minutes
  • 5 grams of crushed Coriander

Pretty simple stuff really.  Except the yeast.

This was my first go with this strain, and only second Wit yeast and I found it was REALLY clumpy during the active part of fermentation.  I also found disturbingly that I have what appear to be chunks of protein from the cold break that have floated to the top, making me originally think I had a serious infection under way once the krausen settled.  But luckily, no.

OG 1.054

IBU: 20

SRM: 4

Four days in I measure 1.011 and it has a nice ‘clean’ grainy flavor.  I’ve lost the orange / coriander taste so at the suggestion of someone on g+ I’ll likely make a new ‘tea’ to add at kegging once I get to that point.